Take a Class
Interested in getting involved with CMAP by creating your own television program, YouTube video or documentary?
Want to shoot local events, or have a live call-in show, or direct someone else's show? CMAP Members can do all kinds of high-quality video productions for online and cable access television.
Contact James at CMAP to set up your customized training or call CMAP at 408.846.4983 to become a member and learn the next steps to get involved.
We offer a full curriculum of media production training to community members. Our training is explicitly project-based. We encourage our students to build their own learning activities around outcomes which are specific to their media production needs and ideas, so they learn the skills relevant to their specific project.
The overall goals of our training are:
1. To encourage students to act independently and responsibly, choosing their own curriculum elements and pursuing their own project objectives.
2. To motivate students, helping them to improve their own methodological abilities, becoming less trainer dependent, as well as reducing the trainer’s direct participation in the learning process.
3. To stimulate professional action skills learning through the implementation of real-world tasks and exercises.
Students may move freely between indirect (creative interplay of learning and skills development) and direct (programmed learning, didactic conversation, explanatory text and lecture) learning methodologies. To support this movement, community members can choose from over 20 classes in everything from field production to Internet video authoring. We offer both Mac OS X and Windows editing and compositing. We specialize in teaching our participants that video, graphics, and audio are crucial aspects of media production, and encourage members to produce comprehensive multimedia projects for distribution across cable and the Internet.
Our class list includes:
- Flash Studio Intro
- Flash Studio for Interview
- Editing (Sony Vegas)
- Editing (Final Cut Pro)
- Camera (Field)
- Camera (Studio)
- Cable Care
- Character Generation
- Internet Video
- Compositing (Flash, After Effects, Final Cut Pro, or Sony Vegas)
- Chroma Key (After Effects, Final Cut Pro, or Sony Vegas)
- Image Editing
- Technical Directing and Directing for Studio
- Technical Directing for Post-production (Sony Vegas, Final Cut Pro)
- Producing With Edited Footage
- Producing With Live Events
- Audio for Video productions
- Drupal Content Management System
- Lighting Intro
To facilitate active movement and interactivity between direct and indirect methodologies, we offer classes on a greater frequency than many PEG environments. Classes are offered nearly every day at CMAP. Participants choose their own training, and schedule direct training with the instructors individually. “Enrollment” per direct learning activity ranges from 1 to 7 participants. Average “enrollment” is 2. We deliberately elected to build small class sizes to encourage producers to work in small teams, and to encourage producers with diverse learning styles to seek out indirect methods.